I Love You

To my kids:

Apparently you think you can never live up to my expectations, that you are victims of an unfair double-standard.

If you actually asked me what I want from you, you might be surprised. These would be my top three requests:

  1. Reserve 30 minutes a day to journal, meditate, talk or pray about yourself or your goals
  2. Every day, help someone (or do something else you can be proud about)
  3. Every day, enjoy at least one inexpensive blessing (nature, music, laughter, peace, affection, creativity, etc.) 

Like legs on a stool, two-out-of-three aren't enough--it will take all three to satisfy me--but doing these three things really would make me happy. I want this so much that I even wish you would post these requests on your wall where you would see them every day, and that you would feel obliged to obey your father (and it really frightens me to ask for your obedience, knowing that you may be more competent than I am). I'm a bit shocked to realize this: I do have a double-standard--I wouldn't make such requests of other people--and I really do wish I could get my way in your life on these three requests.

Yes, you're right, if I am honest, I have to admit that I am unreasonable. I think it's because I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment